This is also wonderful served over pancakes or oatmeal and is safe for children over age 1 starting at a 1 tsp/day.
Elderberry Syrup is an age-old remedy that is rich in vitamin C, antioxidants and useful for both preventing and fighting viruses like the flu and common cold. For adults, take 1 Tbls daily for prevention throughout the cold + flu season, or up to 3-4 Tbls if experiencing illness or feeling something coming on.
Simple Spiced Elderberry Syrup
3/4 cup dried elderberries
4 cups filtered water
1/2 cup raw honey
2 cinnamon sticks
4 whole cloves or 1 drop of clove vitality essential oil
2-inch piece of ginger root, peeled
2 drops of thieves vitality essential oil
- Place dried elderberries, spices, and water in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on medium-low for 30 minutes.
- Mash the elderberries with a potato masher to release any remaining juice.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl using a fine strainer or cheesecloth.
- When the liquid has come to room temperature, gently stir in the raw honey, essential oils if using and mix thoroughly.
- Immediately transfer to small, 8-12 oz glass bottles (mason or weck jars work great if you have them).
- This elixir can be kept in a cool, dark cabinet.