Braised Fennel, Brocolini + Tofu
2 TBSP plain yogurt
2 TBSP plus 1/4 Cup of water
1/2 cup sucanant or raw sugar
2 TBSP ghee or sunflower oil
2 TSP grated fresh ginger
1 TSP fennel seeds
1 TSP ground coriander
1/2 TSP turmeric
1 Fennel bulb, cut into small chunks
1 cup tofu cubes or organic chicken breast*
1/4 cup veggie stock (optional)
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 head of bok choy, broccolini, kale, or collard greens – I personally love this with broccolini.
- In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, 2 TBSP water, and sugar. Set aside.
- Melt the ghee in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the fennel seeds, coriander, turmeric, and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped fennel and sauté an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tofu or chicken, remaining water or veggie stock, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the greens (bok choy, kale, broccolini). Cover the pan and cook until the fennel and greens are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in the reserved yogurt mixture. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thoroughly heated through, about 5 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
*If you’re making chicken instead of tofu, boil chicken breast in water with 1 TSP peppercorns, bay leaf, 1 chopped-up carrot, and any other leftover raw veggies you have. Once cooked, slice into the desired size.